The Ceremony will take approximately two hours. As a sign of respect to those graduating, please make sure that you and your guests remain seated until the end of the Ceremony.
Order of Ceremony
- Haka Powhiri
Guests stand as the official party, academic staff and graduands enter the Great Hall
- Karakia Whakapumau
- Welcome Speech
- Guest Speaker
- Conferment of Qualifications
- Student Speaker
- Special Awards
- Karakia Whakakapi
- Guests stand as the graduates, academic staff and official party leave the Great Hall
- Following the Ceremony, light refreshments will be served to you and your guests.
Procedure for Conferment of Qualifications
- Programme cohorts line up near the stage in alphabetical order
- When it is your turn, you will be announced by your full name as it appears on official WelTec and Whitireia documents
- Walk across the stage to have your qualification conferred
- If you are receiving a Degree, the ceremonial trencher will be held over your head and you will be instructed to put your trencher on your head. A photograph will then be taken.
- Walk across the stage to your academic/programme leader who will hand you your qualification
- Leave the stage and return to your seat