Kia Ora, Bula Vinaka, Fakaalofa lahi atu, Fakatalofa atu, Kia orana, Mālō e lelei, Mālō nī,Talofa lava, Tēnā koutou katoa ki ngā motu o Te Moana nui a Kiwa and warm welcome to you all
The MacDiarmid Institute is delighted to announce its inaugural Discovery Scholarship Programme, for Māori and Pasifika students in science. This is an extension of the Institute’s long-running DiscoveryCamp programme and is designed to support students studying in the physical sciences, Māori sciences or sciences related to sustainable innovation.
The scholarships will pay fees up to $8,000 for the 2020 academic year, and a one-off cash award of up to $5,000. The Institute welcomes applications from all Māori and Pasifika students from all backgrounds and abilities and will award a number of scholarships at each year of undergraduate study, Honours/PgDipSci, and Masters study. Students who are studying part-time are also encouraged to apply. In addition to the financial award, Discovery Scholars will be eligible for the same kinds of ongoing support as our current DiscoveryCamp Alumni cohort, such as summer studentships and access to a range of MacDiarmid Institute events.
Applications are due by Thursday 30 January 2020.
Te Kainga Rua Award - Second Chance Learner Award - This category is for mature students either returning to tertiary education after having some time away or those that are undertaking tertiary courses for the first time. If you are passionate about the natural sciences or you wish to return to tertiary studies and would like help with reaching your goals and potential, we encourage you to apply.
Piki Ake Award - Step It Up Award - This category is for students who are passionate about science but have found it challenging to achieve highly. This award is to help enthusiastic students reach their potential and step up into achieving.
Te Taumata Award - High Achiever Award - This category is for students who have excelled in their studies and are looking toward continuing their study in the field.
Te Mātauranga Pūtaiao Award - High Achiever in Māori Science Award - This category is for students who have excelled in Mātauranga Māori Science and are looking toward continuing their study in the field.
To apply, please submit the following:
- A 1-page application statement outlining the award you will be applying for, your study goals and programme of study in New Zealand.
- A letter of reference: this may be either academic or from someone in your community who can comment on your study goals.
- A CV including a summary of your previous academic record (previous year’s results) we understand this may not be available for those applying for the Te Kainga Rua Award.
- Applicants must be enrolled or intending to enrol at a New Zealand Tertiary Education Institute (university, polytechnic or wānanga) in tertiary-level STEM course(s) that relates to the physical sciences, Māori sciences or sciences related to sustainable innovation.
- Applicants must be enrolled or intending to enrol for the 2020 academic year.
- Applicants must be New Zealand-based.
- All applicants must be a citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand.
Please submit your application statement, letter of reference, and CV to the Centre Manager, Catherine Gibbs (email@example.com), by Thursday 30th January 2020. Applications will be considered by the MacDiarmid Institute’s Discovery Scholarships Committee and successful applicants notified by Monday 17th February 2020. Applications in Te Reo Māori are welcome.
For further information, please contact Kirsty Doyle (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Have a question
Call us on 0800 935 832
or send us a message