Wellington Trades Academy partners with local secondary schools to provide year-long training programmes that allow students to achieve credits in their chosen area that count towards NCEA Level 2 or 3 whilst at the same time getting ready for employment or higher level study.
Choose one subject area for your hands-on learning, on-site at one of our polytechnic campuses for either one or two days a week, depending on what you choose to study.
How you'll benefit
There are several advantages to enrolling in Wellington Trades Academy:
- You’ll productively use your time by learning career-based skills while still being able to achieve units that count towards NCEA Level 2 or 3
- You will stay enrolled at school so are able to keep participating in the extra-curricular activities you might enjoy such as sport, music and cultural events
- You will experience tertiary learning and discover how this differs from school
- You can test a career path and see if it suits you, before enrolling in full-time study
How it works
- You will earn NCEA credits that are relevant to your chosen subject area
- Trades Academy programmes are fees-free with subsidised transport costs – subject to meeting certain criteria
- You will be tutored by industry professionals keen to share their knowledge, expertise and experiences
- You will be provided with an opportunity to start learning real skills for your career
Subjects available for study
- Animal Care (includes: Animal Care and Husbandry and Animal Science with a mix of Level 2 and 3 units)
- Construction Trades (includes: Carpentry, Plumbing and Painting and Electrical)
- Creative Technology (includes: Design techniques, Indigenous Design and use of industry software and hardware)
- Engineering and Automotive (includes: Automotive and Engineering Fundamentals)
- Engines (includes: Automotive and some Electrical Engineering)
- Salon Environment (includes: Hairdressing, Beauty Therapy and Retail)
- Health Science (includes: Infection Control, and Support Work used in health and well-being settings with a mix of Level 2 and 3 units) This is a 1 Day a week programme
- Hospitality (includes: Cookery, Food Preparation, Table and Beverage Service)
- Hospitality Services (includes: Hospitality and Tourism)
- Cookery Level 3 (covers: New Zealand Certificate in Cookery Level 3)
To be eligible for study with the Wellington Trades Academy you must be enrolled in a secondary school in the greater Wellington region and have some credits towards NCEA at Level 1 preferably including literacy and numeracy, but each application will be considered on a case by case basis.
You must be enrolled as a senior secondary school student and be aged 18 or under at the start of the calendar year. A student’s right to enrol ends on 1 January after the student’s 19th birthday.
Applications will be considered from all students who meet the eligibility criteria subject to students having the support and approval of their secondary school. If you need to check your eligibility or check on exceptions feel free to contact us.