FAQS about Insurance

Are pre-existing medical conditions covered? 
Travel Insurance is designed to cover unexpected events. Pre-existing medical conditions are not automatically covered. A pre-existing condition is any medical or physical condition or circumstance which you are aware of, or ought reasonably to have been aware of, before the start date of your policy.  

If you have a pre-existing medical or physical condition you need to tell us about it in your application and complete a medical assessment. Requests for cover may be made via an online medical declaration found at www.uni-care.org/home/medical-declaration.aspx . Once the outcome of your medical assessment is known you can decide whether or not to proceed with purchasing the policy.

If the medical assessment team declines to cover a pre-existing condition it is not possible to pay an extra premium to have the condition covered.

Is my immigration medical and/or x-ray covered by my insurance? 
No, your insurance covers unexpected events. Immigration medical and x-ray costs are not an unexpected event.

Is pregnancy covered? 
If you are pregnant when you apply for your policy there is no cover provided.  If you became pregnant after your insurance policy was issued then you are covered for unexpected medical complications or emergencies that occur up to and including the 20th week of pregnancy.

Please note that there is no cover for doctor’s or midwives' visits to monitor your pregnancy and there is no cover for delivery or hospital costs associated with delivery.

I have bought a car, is it covered by my insurance?
No, your car is not covered by Uni-Care insurance. You need to take a separate insurance policy to cover your car and any damage that you do to someone else’s property while using your car.

If you wish to purchase a policy to cover accidental damage caused to someone else’s property by your use of a vehicle please visit https://www.frogs-in-nz.com/pvt/Packs-et-services/Instant-Backpacker-Car-Insurance-New-Zealand or https://travellerscarinsurance.co.nz/ for a competitive quotation. Short-term policies are available.

The Rental Vehicle Excess cover only applies if you have hired a vehicle from a rental company. It does not provide any cover for a vehicle that you own or borrow from someone else.

Are my household contents and carpets covered?
The Luggage section of the policy covers you for accidental loss of or damage to your accompanied luggage, personal effects, laptop computers and/or portable electronic property. It does not cover household contents or carpets of any kind. If you have general household contents that you need cover for you will need to take out a domestic contents insurance policy.

I have an NZ Student policy but have finished studying. I’m staying in NZ to work, what do I do?
Once you have completed studying and your NZ Student visa expires (or is replaced by another visa type) you are no longer entitled to coverage under our NZ Student Plan. However, you may purchase an NZ Visitor policy and information may be found here: https://www.uni-care.org/our-policies/nz-visitor.aspx

My family are coming to New Zealand with me, are they covered under my student insurance?
The policy that you purchase through WelTec covers enrolled students only; your family are not insured under this policy. However, Uni-Care is able to provide family policies that may include yourself and your family. Please contact WelTec to arrange a quotation for a Family NZ Visitor policy.

What do I do if I have an emergency or a claim?
In the event of an emergency, Uni-Care is ready to assist you 24 hours a day. Please call our toll free number 0800 864 227 in New Zealand, 1800 864 227 in Australia, or our Claims Team on +64 4 802 0173. Our Claims Team can help you with the following:

  • Verification of coverage and policy benefits to your doctor or hospital when necessary.
  • Coordinate payments with the doctor or hospital.
  • Communication with relatives and school.
  • Arrangement of emergency medical evacuation when necessary.

I am going to see a doctor now, am I covered? 
While our Uni-Care Policy covers the majority of medical conditions, there are some medical conditions Uni-Care may not be able to provide cover for. If you are not sure if you will be covered, please contact our Claims Team for assistance.

How is my claim settled? 
Payments are made into your nominated New Zealand bank account. If you do not have a bank account in New Zealand or if you are travelling in Australia, we are able to arrange the fund's transfer to a foreign bank account. We are not able to pay your claim to a credit card.

Is there a specific medical center or a doctor I must see? 
You can go to the nearest medical centre or after hours doctor to see a General Practitioner (GP). However, if you need to see a specialist, you must see a GP first to obtain a medical referral to a specialist.

How do I make a medical claim? 
Just complete and sign a Uni-Care Claim Form and send it to us a copy of the original invoice. It is important that you advise us WHY you needed to see a doctor.

I have been burgled. What do I do? 
You will need to notify the police immediately after you discover the loss. When reporting the loss to the police, you will need to describe as much detail as you can regarding the event or the offender. After you have notified the police and lodged a complaint with them, you need to notify us of your loss either by phone or by email and then complete a claim form and return it to us with the original invoices and accessories for the stolen items.

My electronic item is damaged. What do I do? 
To make a claim for damaged personal effects, you will need to complete a claim form and supply a repair report. If the item is repairable, please send in the repair report and quote with your claim form. If the item is not repairable you need to send the item to us along with your claim form and the repair report.

I have accidentally damaged my home stay’s property. What do I do? 
Advise your homestay that you have an insurance policy which covers your personal liability and ask your homestay to make a claim with their own insurer. You must notify us of this accident and complete a claim form with the details of the loss.

This information is correct as of September 2018.

Have a question
or feedback?

Call us on 0800 935 832
or send us a message