Important Information

For practical advice and information on preparing for student life in New Zealand go to and 

Specialist services for international students

We have dedicated teams to support international students. Our expert staff can help you choose the right programme, and provide information and advice to prepare you to live and study in New Zealand. Please contact us with any questions at

Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice

WelTec has agreed to observe and be bound by this Code of Practice (2016), which is legislated by the New Zealand Government and published on the parliamentary website For more information, frequently asked questions, and how to make a complaint see the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) website 


Full details of visa requirements, advice on eligibility for employment in New Zealand while studying and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service website

Visa conditions

A student visa (or a limited visa granted for the purpose of study) is subject to conditions and any breaches must be reported to Immigration New Zealand.

Visa conditions include, but are not limited to:

  • Having sufficient funds for maintenance while in New Zealand
  • Attending the programme at all times unless there are genuine reasons for any absences, and making satisfactory academic progress
  • Studying at the place of study specified on the student visa
  • Having acceptable insurance for the duration of the student visa
  • Working no more than the hours specified on the student visa
  • Living with a parent or legal guardian if required (for students aged under 18)

You can find more information about visas here.

Eligibility for health services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand, so may be liable for the full costs of any treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available from the Ministry of Health:

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but international students may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. For more information, go to

Compulsory medical and travel insurance

WelTec requires all enrolled international students to have approved health and travel insurance for the duration of their enrolment (regardless of the visa type). A student visa holder is also required to have approved health and travel insurance for the duration of their visa or until they depart New Zealand, whichever comes first.

WelTec has arrangements in place for our recommended insurance, policy and provider for international students. Student applicants will be invoiced for the insurance premium during the international admissions process.

For full details on WelTec’s default insurance see here.

Student accommodation

There is a range of short and long-term accommodation options available to you when you study with us. If a student is under the age of 18 it is a Code of Practice requirement that the student is in the care of a residential caregiver.

This information is correct as of June 2018.