Visa and Immigration Requirements

Full details of visa requirements, advice on eligibility for employment in New Zealand while studying and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service website.

You must hold a valid visa at all times while you are in New Zealand and be aware of the adhere to the visa conditions. 

Visa conditions

A student visa (or a limited visa granted for the purpose of study) is subject to conditions and any breaches must be reported to Immigration New Zealand. If you break the conditions of your student visa or your visa expires before you leave New Zealand, you might be sent back to your home country.

Visa conditions include, but are not limited to:

  • Having sufficient funds for maintenance while in New Zealand
  • Attending the programme at all times unless there are genuine reasons for any absences, and making satisfactory academic progress
  • Studying at the place of study specified on the student visa
  • Having acceptable insurance for the duration of the student visa
  • Working no more than the hours specified on the student visa
  • Living with a parent or legal guardian if required (for students aged under 18)

Student visas and permits

A student visa is an endorsement you get in your passport. It shows you have permission to travel to New Zealand and may be granted a student permit when you arrive. The visa may be single for one journey, or multiple for more than one journey.

Your visa is only valid for travel to New Zealand until the date specified and as long as your passport is current.

A student permit is an endorsement in your passport which allows you to study in New Zealand. It will state the expiry date of your permit and the conditions of your permit. The conditions may include:

  • the course of study
  • the educational institution
  • the location of the institution in New Zealand 

Applying for your student visa

Once you have paid your tuition fees, you should apply for a New Zealand Student Visa.

When submitting your student visa application to the nearest office of the New Zealand Immigration Service you will need to provide a completed Application to Study in New Zealand form.

The Application to Study in New Zealand form is available from the New Zealand Immigration Service website, New Zealand Embassies and High Commissions, or from the WelTec International Team.

You will also need to provide the following items:

Passport  Check to make sure it's not going to expire while you are in New Zealand.

Student visa application fee  The fee varies between countries. Please check with the local New Zealand Immigration service.

Guarantee of accommodation  This is a letter stating that accommodation is available to you while you are in Wellington. This letter may be from a relative who lives in Wellington, your homestay family or the WelTec International Team confirming you have a place at WelTec.

Evidence of sufficient funds  You must supply evidence that you or a sponsor (usually a family member) have at least $15,000 per year to support you while you are living in New Zealand. You should provide either your personal bank statement, passbook or traveller's cheques or the Financial Undertaking of Student form completed by your sponsor.

Evidence of onward travel arrangements  You must have a ticket to leave New Zealand or provide evidence that you have extra funds available to pay for such a ticket.

Your WelTec Offer of Place  Your WelTec fees receipt or confirmation of scholarship funding.

*Please note that this information is a guide only. The New Zealand Immigration Service requirements may vary between students and may change from time to time.


This information is correct as of August 2018