What you will learn
- Engine components, repair and performance
- Electrical and electronic operations and control
- Battery testing, wire repairs and lighting systems
- Diesel and light vehicle introduction
- Basic servicing of motor vehicles, including brakes, steering and suspension
- Carry out basic engineering tasks and welding
- Identify and control automotive workshop hazards
To be a certified mechanic, you need to complete the Level 4 Certificate in Automotive Technology (offered by WelTec).
- Automotive technician
Under 20 years
10 NCEA Level 1 numeracy credits and 10 NCEA Level 1 literacy credits - or equivalent knowledge and skills. A pre-entry interview may be required.
If you’re 20 years or over, you may qualify for special admission on this programme. Contact us if you don’t meet the Under 20 entry requirements.
Further study options
New Zealand Certificate in Automotive Engineering (Level 4) (Managed Apprenticeship) - offered by WelTec.
Students must complete the Level 4 programme to be a certified automotive mechanic.