What you will learn
- Gain painting and decorating employment skills
- Learn the safe use of painting and decorating materials
- Interpret work drawings and measure quantities
- Prepare surfaces and apply paint by brush and roller to manufacturers’ specifications
- Learn how to prepare and apply wallpaper
- Use conventional and airless spray equipment
- Re-glaze timber window and door frames
- Erect scaffolding for painting and apply site safety procedures in construction work
- Follow industry health and safety protocols
Begin work as an apprentice in painting and decorating or seek employment in paint sales, warehousing and manufacturing. Other construction trade areas, such as plastering and tiling, are also an option.
Under 20 years
10 credits NCEA Level 1 numeracy and 10 credits NCEA Level 1 literacy, or equivalent study/work experience.
Over 20 years
If you’re 20 years or over, you may qualify for special admission on this programme. Contact us if you don’t meet the Under 20 entry criteria.
Government's Targeted Training and Apprenticeship Fund (TTAF)
These programmes are FREE under TTAF, covering; compulsory tuition fees, compulsory course costs and compulsory student services fees. Visit tec.govt.nz for more information about TTAF.