Most of your time will be spent in workshops and engaged in practical projects. You’ll study at WelTec three days a week, which includes a half-day theory class.
What you will learn
- Grow your welding skills
- Learn different types of welding and cutting processes
- Gain experience with light to heavy welding (up to 12mm thick)
- Develop your hand-eye coordination
- Understand health and safety requirements
- Completing this programme allows you to gain skills to sit one or more of the following welding tickets (fees apply):
- AS/NZ 2980 Manual Metal Arc Welding
- AS/NZ 2980 Gas Metal Arc Welding
Job opportunities exist in mechanical engineering, light to heavy fabrication, marine industry, construction with steel framing, building and earthquake strengthening work.
10 credits in NCEA Level 1 for each of the numeracy and literacy, or equivalent study/work experience; applicants must be able to carry out the physical requirements of the programme based on the application and interview.
International: IELTS 5.5 (with no band below 5.0), or equivalent.