What you will learn
- Advance your understanding of material properties and their treatments
- Learn to make, install and repair metal products for light and heavy fabrication and steel construction
- Heavy fabricated products could include trailers, earthmoving machinery and manufacturing equipment
- Light fabricated products could include ducting, architectural fixtures and balustrade
- Carry out complex welding tasks on steel structures
- Apply knowledge of forming and shaping to minimise damage and distortion
Evening classes, three hours a week held between March and November. Includes two one week block courses per year.
- Fitter and Turner
- General Engineer
- Structural Sheet Worker
Must be employed in an appropriate engineering job full-time and have successfully completed the New Zealand Certificate in Engineering (Level 3) or relevant skills and experience.