What you will learn
- Understand the principles of nutrition in relation to health, wellbeing and exercise
- Learn and apply the fundamentals of anatomy and physiology to exercise
- Learn how to pre-screen, assess and deliver safe and effective exercise programmes for healthy and at risk clients
- Understand and apply the business skills required to operate as an exercise professional in the fitness industry
- Become REPS registered (New Zealand Register of Exercise Professionals)
- Gain the entry requirements for the New Zealand Diploma in Sport, Recreation and Exercise (Level 5)
- Classes are spread over 4 days each week (up to 22 hours)
A large part of this programme is taught in our onsite gym, Dynamics. Students will have free membership to Dynamics for the duration of their study on this programme.
Graduates can be employed or self-employed in roles such as: exercise consultant, community exercise instructor, team training instructor or personal trainer.
Graduates of the programme will be able to register with the New Zealand Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) giving graduates Personal Trainer Contractor Registration Level.
NCEA (Level 1) with 20 credits Literacy and Numeracy plus 20 Level 2 credits in Science, Health or Physical Education, or equivalent; and evidence of suitability based on a self-declaration that the potential student is physically capable of coping with the requirements of the programme, ensuring all health & safety requirements are considered for the student and others.
IELTS 5.5 (no band lower than 5.0) or equivalent.