What you will learn
Whether you want to expand your culinary skills in patisserie or continue on your journey as a baker. You will gain the advanced patisserie and baking skills necessary to produce: restaurant-quality desserts, work with decorative mediums to finish gateaux and celebration cakes, experience the development of a range of superior doughs and baked goods.
- Learn the skills to compose both classical and modern patisserie work with mousseline, curds and pastes that stand out from the rest
- Understand the success techniques that contribute to well-made bread; from handling through to baking of simple, laminated and complex bread from around the world
- Discover the varieties of components from possets, fluid gels including garnishes and the formulas to balance and present stylish restaurant desserts and café sweets
- Learn the practical importance of organising your work and professional communication when baking in a team
- Understand gluten-free and other dietary requirements
- Broaden knowledge of bakery science, terminologies and commodities associated with Baking
- Finish traditional cakes and contemporary multi-layered crèmes and mirror glazed gateaux the way professionals do
- Bring chocolate sculptures to life and put on the finishing touches with blown and pulled sugar showpieces
- Understand the safe handling and maintenance of bakery equipment
- Undertake a work experience placement within industry
More detail about this qualification
Classes run Monday - Thursday.
4.5 hours of classes a day, subject to timetable, including morning, afternoon and evening classes.
- Pastry chef
- Artisan baker
- Commercial baker
- Numerous hospitality opportunities café’s, restaurants, hotels, bakeries and catering companies
Under 20 years
60 credits at NCEA level 1, including 10 NCEA Level 1 literacy and 10 NCEA Level 1 numeracy credits, or successful completion of New Zealand Certificate Baking (Level 3).
Over 20 years
If you’re 20 years or over, you may qualify for special admission on this programme. Contact us if you don’t meet the Under 20 entry criteria.
IELTS (academic) score of 5.5 (no band lower than 5.0) or equivalent.
Find your country's equivalent academic entry requirements here
* International fees shown here do not include insurance and administration (currently approximately $780 per year of study)
You must be able to carry out the physical requirements of the programme.