On successful completion of two external theory exams, you will also be awarded the London City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Food Preparation and Cooking (Patisserie)
What you will learn
- Learn advanced bakery techniques, including croissants, Danish pastries, and sourdough products
- Learn patisserie techniques, including celebration cake decorating, Viennoiserie pastries, gateaux and torten, and choux pastry items
- Produce global bread using artisan bakery techniques to include fougasse, baguettes and brioche
- Work as part of a team in our pop-up bakery producing products for sale, demonstrating teamwork, budgeting and organisational skills
- Create showpieces from chocolate and sugar
- Understand gluten-free and other dietary requirements
- Undertake a work experience placement within industry
- Follow and monitor food hygiene processes to prepare, cook, serve and store food safely
- Broaden knowledge of bakery science, terminologies and commodities associated with Baking
- Understand the safe handling and maintenance of bakery equipment
Classes run Monday - Thursday.
4.5 hours of classes a day, subject to timetable, including morning, afternoon and evening classes.
- Pastry chef
- Artisan baker
- Commercial baker
You must be able to carry out the physical requirements of the programme.
Under 20 years
60 credits at NCEA level 1, including: 10 NCEA Level 1 literacy and 10 NCEA Level 1 numeracy credits, or successful completion of New Zealand Certificate Baking (Level 3).
Over 20 years
If you’re 20 years or over, you may qualify for special admission on this programme. Contact us if you don’t meet the Under 20 entry criteria.
IELTS (academic) score of 5.5 (no band lower than 5.0) or equivalent.