The WelTec Managed Traineeship leads to the New Zealand Certificate in Cookery Level 4 and is specifically designed for trainee chefs already working in professional kitchens.
The two year, block release, programme supports trainees to work towards becoming a qualified chef whilst continuing to be employed in the industry.
You will learn through practical tutorials and workshops and be assessed in a purpose-built environment alongside other trainee chefs. Access to our online learning system and regular onsite visits will provide additional support to both the trainee and the employer throughout the process.
The programme covers:
• Cooking methods and their applications
• Cold larder techniques
• Food safety, Health and safety
• Standard operating policies and procedures for commercial kitchens
• Preparation, cooking and presentation of fish dishes
• Farinaceous and vegetable dishes
• Preparation, cooking and presentation of meat and poultry dishes
• Patisserie techniques to produce and present desserts
• Techniques to produce dough and pastry products
Candidates must be employed for a minimum of 24 hours per week in a WelTec approved hospitality business in an appropriate position (e.g.: Kitchen Assistant, Commis Chef, Junior Chef or similar role).
Government's Targeted Training and Apprenticeship Fund (TTAF)
These programmes are FREE under TTAF, covering; compulsory tuition fees, compulsory course costs and compulsory student services fees. Visit tec.govt.nz for more information about TTAF.