Build on your existing skills to understand and apply advanced cooking techniques. Learn artisan skills such as sausage and cheese making. Develop your supervisory and kitchen management knowledge in menu planning, costing and dish design. A substantial industry placement in a commercial kitchen will support your learning.
WelTec has aligned this programme with the internationally recognised City and Guilds Advanced Diploma in Food Preparation and Cookery (Supervision).
For international students, this course can be aggregated with the New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (Level 4) as a combined two-year programme.
What you will learn
- Advance your dish presentation ideas using best-practice and contemporary techniques.
- Learn how to design, develop, plan and cost menus
- Use advanced culinary skills such as smoking, curing and sous vide to provide a variety of products for menu diversity
- Kitchen operations and the management of resources using sustainable practices
- Food safety, allergens and special diets
- The influences of Global cuisine
- Traditional and modern larder techniques and preparations
- Artisan crafts Cheesemaking and sausage making
Perfect if you have long-term career aspirations for any of the following positions:
- Kitchen manager
- Sous chef
- Banquet chef
- Executive chef
- Food production manager
Under 20 years
New Zealand Certificate in Cookery Level 4, or equivalent.
If you’re 20 years or over, you may qualify for special admission on this programme. Contact us if you don’t meet the Under 20 entry criteria.
Minimum IELTS (academic) score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5, or equivalent.
You must be able to carry out the physical requirements of the programme.
Additional course costs
Knife kit and scales (you may have these from Level 4), textbook (approximately $90), suitable footwear for wearing in kitchens (non-slip rubber soles).
Documents and other details