Whitireia and WelTec have created a new information technology (IT) degree* in consultation with industry and other stakeholders. To ensure your skills reflect current workplace requirements, the degree offers five new majors, enabling you to have a well-rounded education, including communication skills, management processes, teamwork, flexible assessments and a capstone project in your final year.
*programme subject to NZQA approval.
*Majors available subject to demand
Data Science (Applied) (offered at Whitireia Porirua)
Data Science is a rapidly growing field. Companies and organisations use data to support strategic decision making, solve problems and gain a competitive edge. Learn to apply technology to make the most of data.
- Understand the concepts of business intelligence and data mining
- Gain skills in information systems management
- Build data science solutions
- Design, implement and query complex databases
- Create and validate business analytical models
- Communicate data analysis through visualisation and stories
Cyber Security (offered at WelTec Petone)
Manage risks involved with organisational technology. Protect data and systems. Security specialists are in high demand within government, commercial and banking sectors.
- Gain an understanding of security fundamentals and forensics
- Learn to perform security risk management and vulnerability assessment
- Design and develop security policies and controls
- Respond to security breaches using technical controls and forensic techniques
- Plan and implement security testing
Interaction Design (offered at Whitireia Porirua)
Focus on user interaction and user experience. Understand interaction design principles and develop effective user experiences in a range of technologies.
- Understand the process of interaction design
- Scope appropriate technologies to solve problems for users
- Design a range of interfaces for a variety of devices
- Develop effective user experiences
- Analyse ways that user interfaces relate to a user’s age, education culture and ability
Networking and Infrastructure (offered at WelTec Petone)
Gain an advanced qualification relevant to the fast-changing demands of industry. Develop skills in Cisco, Linux and Microsoft network support. Learn in specialised labs and facilities.
- Learn about networking fundamentals
- Plan and document network infrastructure
- Implement and support computer networks and management systems
- Gain skills to diagnose and resolve problems using network technologies and procedures
Software Development (offered at Whitireia Porirua and WelTec Petone)
Software developers create IT solutions using a range of codes and languages. Further your talent for problem-solving. Develop logic and analytical skills. Work in New Zealand and around the world.
- Learn about software design, development and maintenance
- Become proficient in a variety of programming languages
- Design and develop software applications
- Gain skills in testing and maintenance
- Understand logic methods and problem analysis
- Learn modelling techniques
- Work with commercial software applications
No Major: Design your Bachelor of Information Technology (offered at Whitireia Porirua and WelTec Petone)
Customise your degree and choose the subjects that most interest you.
Under 20 years
NCEA Level 3 with at least 14 credits in each of 3 subjects.
Literacy - 10 credits at Level 2 or above, made up of 5 credits in reading
and 5 credits in writing.
Numeracy - 10 credits at Level 1 or above.
Over 20 years
If you’re 20 years or over, you may qualify for special admission on this programme. Contact us if you don’t meet the Under 20 entry criteria.
Minimum IELTS (academic) score of 6 with no band score lower than 5.5.