What you will learn
- Learn about the different aspects of the tourism industry and its importance to New Zealand and the economy
- Grow your marketing, communications and event planning skills
- Participate in a field trip to investigate how a region develops and promotes its tourism products and services
- Develop business plans for new enterprises
- Learn how the development of people and systems can contribute to business success
Work as a supervisor in tourism businesses, as a business development coordinator, i-SITE host, other business roles for tourist attractions or build a career across the wide range of career paths within the tourism industry.
Under 20 years
NCEA Level 3 - including 3 approved subjects at Level 3 (as specified on the NZQA list) made up of 14 credits each or two approved subjects made up of 14 credits each plus a minimum of 14 credits in Tourism at Level 3, and 10 credits NCEA Level 2 literacy or above – 5 credits in reading and 5 credits in writing (as specified on the NZQA list) and 10 credits NCEA Level 1 numeracy, or above (as specified on the NZQA list).
Or a Level 4 qualification in a related field (for example – New Zealand Certificate in Tourism Level 4); or relevant personal, practical, professional or educational experience.
Over 20 years
If you’re 20 years or over, you may qualify for special admission on this programme. Contact us if you don’t meet the Under 20 entry criteria.
Minimum IELTS (academic) score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5, or equivalent.
Further study options
Trimester 3 intake 2019
The Trimester 3 intake is for current WelTec students only. For more information about what courses will be available please contact the enrolments team for more information.
New students will need to enrol into 2020 intake to start this programme.
Documents and other details
Hear from our tourism students