This one-year full-time programme is “hands-on” and is suitable for those who may have little or no experience in the culinary field. The focus is on the essential skills of food preparation, cookery methods and techniques that will provide you with the keys to open your culinary world.
The learning accelerates to include the more complex aspects of professional cookery along with the compulsory compliance requirements.
You will learn through practical tutorials and workshops and be assessed in a purpose-built environment alongside students of all ages and of different cultures and backgrounds.
The Programme Covers:
- Cooking methods and their applications
- Cold larder techniques
- Preparation, cooking and presentation of meat and poultry dishes
- Food safety, Health and safety
- Standard operating policies and procedures for commercial kitchens
- Preparation, cooking and presentation of fish dishes
- Farinaceous and vegetable dishes
- Patisserie techniques to produce and present desserts
- Techniques to produce dough and pastry products
The programme will prepare students for entry-level positions in a commercial kitchen environment. The progression to senior roles will be dependent on time and relevant experience in the industry in a variety of workplaces for example Hotels, Restaurants, Catering companies, institutions, Stadiums and cruise ships.
- Trainee / Commis Chef
- Demi Chef de Partie
- Chef De Partie
- Sous Chef
- Head chef
- Executive Chef
Meet our Tutors
Under 20 years
60 Credits at NCEA Level 1 including 10 literacy and 10 numeracy credits, or equivalent.
Over 20 years
If you’re 20 years or over, you may qualify for special admission on this programme. Contact us if you don’t meet the Under 20 entry criteria.
Minimum IELTS (academic) score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 is required, or equivalent.
Find your country's equivalent academic entry requirements here
* International fees shown here do not include insurance and administration (currently approximately $780 per year of study)
You must be able to carry out the physical requirements of the programme.
Further study options
Hear from our students