A new degree designed with industry
Whitireia and Weltec are pleased to offer a new IT degree in 2019. The degree was designed with the IT industry to ensure our graduates are well-prepared with the skills required for the 21st century.
The degree offers five new majors and provides a well-rounded education designed for today's IT workplaces. You'll learn communication skills, management processes, teamwork and complete an industry project in your final year.
This degree has been accredited by the industry, represented by IT Professionals New Zealand.
Internship opportunities to prepare you for work
Whitireia and WelTec provide the training and support to take you from where you are now to roles in the industry. In some cases you can also obtain industry certification while you learn.
Many of our students work part-time in IT during their studies. There are internship opportunities to work in IT firms and gain paid work experience.
*Majors available subject to demand
Applied Data Science (offered at Whitireia Porirua)
Data Science is a rapidly growing field. Companies and organisations use data to support strategic decision making, solve problems and gain a competitive edge. Learn to apply technology to make the most of data.
- Understand the concepts of business intelligence and data mining
- Gain skills in information systems management
- Build data science solutions
- Design, implement and query complex databases
- Create and validate business analytical models
- Communicate data analysis through visualisation and stories
Cyber Security (offered at WelTec Petone)
Manage risks involved with organisational technology. Protect data and systems. Security specialists are in high demand within government, commercial and banking sectors.
- Gain an understanding of security fundamentals and forensics
- Learn to perform security risk management and vulnerability assessment
- Design and develop security policies and controls
- Respond to security breaches using technical controls and forensic techniques
- Plan and implement security testing
Interaction Design (offered at Whitireia Porirua)
Focus on user interaction and user experience. Understand interaction design principles and develop effective user experiences in a range of technologies.
- Understand the process of interaction design
- Scope appropriate technologies to solve problems for users
- Design a range of interfaces for a variety of devices
- Develop effective user experiences
- Analyse ways that user interfaces relate to a user’s age, education culture and ability
Networking and Infrastructure (offered at WelTec Petone)
Gain an advanced qualification relevant to the fast-changing demands of industry. Develop skills in Cisco, Linux and Microsoft network support. Learn in specialised labs and facilities.
- Learn networking fundamentals
- Plan and document network infrastructure
- Implement and support computer networks and management systems
- Gain skills to diagnose and resolve problems using network technologies and procedures
- Build an in-depth understanding of wireless technologies
Software Development (offered at Whitireia Porirua and WelTec Petone)
Software developers create IT solutions using a range of codes and languages. Further your talent for problem-solving. Develop logic and analytical skills. Work in New Zealand and around the world.
- Learn about software design, development and maintenance
- Become proficient in a variety of programming languages
- Design and develop software applications
- Gain skills in testing and maintenance
- Understand logic methods and problem analysis
- Learn modelling techniques
- Work with commercial software applications
No Major: Design your Bachelor of Information Technology (offered at Whitireia Porirua and WelTec Petone)
Customise your degree and choose the courses that most interest you.
Under 20 years
NCEA Level 3 with at least 14 credits in each of 3 subjects.
Literacy - 10 credits at Level 2 or above, made up of 5 credits in reading
and 5 credits in writing.
Numeracy - 10 credits at Level 1 or above.
Over 20 years
If you’re 20 years or over, you may qualify for special admission on this programme. Contact us if you don’t meet the Under 20 entry criteria.
Minimum IELTS (academic) score of 6 with no band score lower than 5.5.
Documents and Other Details