The Master of Information Technology is a level 9 programme that requires successful completion of a minimum of 180 credits from level 8 and 9.
Potential Career Options
Graduates of the Master of Information Technology (and with further work experience in some cases) will be able to work in business, education, government, health, industry or the community sector. Potential jobs opportunities include Business Analyst, Cyber Security Specialist, Database Administrator, Information Systems Manager, Data Analyst, Network Manager, Security Specialist, Software Developer, Software Tester, Systems Administrator, Systems Analyst, Systems Integrator and Team Leader. Electives can be chosen to suit the student’s likely career path.
Schedule of Courses and Options
There are two pathways for completing a Master of Information Technology (MIT) at Whitireia and WelTec. Both pathways require completion of a significant research project.
The following structure is proposed for the two available pathways.
All courses 15 credits unless stated otherwise.
This pathway provides in-depth knowledge of a topic in Information Technology and is suitable grounding work for higher studies at PhD level in New Zealand or overseas. The research produced can lead to scientific publication. This pathway enables the student to undertake significant independent research.
- IT8501/IT8400 - Research in Information Technology - Online/Blended delivery
- IT8502 / IT8417 - Research Proposal - Online/Blended delivery
- IT9502 / IT9401 - Thesis (90 credits) - Online/Blended delivery
- Plus 60 credits from electives courses
This pathway requires a shorter research report than the Thesis but the overall process and final research report structure is identical to that of the thesis, although the time allowance is significantly less.
- IT8501/IT8400 - Research in Information Technology
- IT8502 / IT8417 - Research Proposal
- IT9501 / IT9400 - Applied Research Project (45 credits) - Online/Blended delivery
- Plus 105 credits from electives courses
- IT8426 / IT8418 Advanced Project Management for Information Technology - Online/Blended delivery
- IT8510 / IT8401 - Business Analysis for Information Technology - Online/Blended delivery
- IT8511 / IT8402 - Business Intelligence and Data Mining
- IT8512 / IT8403 - Cloud Computing and ICT Infrastructure - Online/Blended delivery
- IT8515 / IT8406 - Multimedia Application Development for Mobile Devices Online/Blended delivery
- IT8516 / IT8407 - Network Design and Management
- IT8517 / IT8408 - Network Security and Forensics
- IT8518 / IT8409 - Quality Assurance and Testing
- IT8519 / IT8410 - Systems Architecture and Technology Integration
- IT8520 / IT8411 - Special Topic in Information Technology
- IT8529 / IT8421 - Blockchain and Cryptocurrency - Online/Blended delivery
- T8525 / IT8412 - Research Project (30 credits) - Online/Blended delivery
- IT8522 / IT8413 - Topics in Cyber Ethics - Online/Blended delivery
- IT8524 / IT8413 - Internship (30 credits)
A bachelor's degree or postgraduate qualification in information technology or related subject with at least a B grade average at Level 7 or 8, or have the acquired skills and knowledge through relevant work or professional experience.
Minimum IELTS (academic) score of 6.5 with no band score lower than 6, or equivalent.
Find your country's equivalent academic entry requirements here
Are you looking to study part-time while you work or balance other commitments?
No problem we can make study work for you. This programme includes part-time study options for people who want the flexibility of studying while they manage other commitments.
* International fees shown here do not include insurance and administration (currently approximately $780 per year of study)
Further Study Options
Continue on to other institutions to gain a PhD
IT8426 / IT8418 Advanced Project Management for Information Technology - Online/Blended delivery